One of approximately forty commercial forts on the Gold Coast is Cape Coast Castle, which was originally built by the Swedes for trading timber and gold. However, it later came to be used in the Atlantic slave trade, as a place to hold slaves before they were loaded onto ships. For this reason, the castle came to be known as the “gate of no return.” The castle changed hands over the years and stopped being used for the slave trade in the 19th century. In 1957, when Ghana gained its independence, the castle became an official historical site, under the care of the Ghana Museums and Monuments Board. The building underwent restoration in the 1990s and has remained a popular tourist site.